Posts tagged sony
Sony VAIO VGN-SZ440 is a 13.3” in TFT, ultra portable, lightweight and powerful performance notebook. VAIO SZ440 is economy class of Sony’s ultra portable SZ series.
Bottom line, SZ440 is my brand new laptop; the runner-ups were Lenovo ThinkPad T60, HP Pavilion dv2000t and Dell XPS M1210. Also Apple’s MacBook impressed me lightly which I did include in the selection list at the last minute.
I should have posted about this some time back but I couldn’t make it. It’s been a couple of week time since I have received my laptop. I was really glad with Sony Style they just took a week time to get the laptop delivered.
Here are the most important key features of Sony SZ440 as published
Portability is granted for sure factor when it comes to the ultra portable SZ series. The notebook comes with razor thin 13.3” LCD widescreen display and has on the go wireless connectivity option too. The notebook weights somewhere around 4 lbs which relatively lighter and handy to carry around even for a frequent travelers. It has optional WAN connectivity too. The long battery life for the SZ series enhanced the portable feature much further.
Sony is popular for sleek and stylish design; this is pretty much applicable for their laptop VAIO series too. Sony VAIO SZ440 is the economy edition of SZ series, which comes with magnesium fiber coating. The aluminum finish over the palm rest makes it durable and more elegant too. The premium SZ480 really did rock for Carbon casing but with additional 200 USD charge in it; that didn’t make me happy.
I have to really tell about the Keyboard design. The Keyboard is much comfortable compared with other portable models available and I have used. The Keyboard is designed for 3 mm stroke for ease of use. I am very positive about the Notebook’s Touchpad as well. The Notebook display comes with XBRITE LCD technology that has more realistic colors.
Wow! The sound quality rocks. Sony’s Sound quality can’t be compromised on anything. Sony’s original Sound Reality technology delivers incredibly high-quality, rich and full sound. But the Notebook speakers are not powered much though.
The Notebook comes with built-in Camera and Microphone. So it comes in handy for Video / Voice Conference. The wide screen is most suitable for watching movies and others in the fly. Also it come with DVD writer so to create movies on the go.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz Processor is the first dual core processor designed exclusively for mobile notebooks. The dual core technology results in reduction of power consumption. The high capacity 2 GB DDR RAM can handle heavy memory load. The Intel’s Chipset has the fast frond side bus speed that helps in experiencing high performance.
Sony’s revolutionary Hybrid Graphic System lets you set your graphics performance. A simple switch enables you to toggle between an internal graphics chip (Intel’s chipset) for optimal power consumption with excellent performance and an external graphics chip (GeForce 7400) for even more robust performance, for unmatched control of your time and output.
The Sony VAIO has highly bundled security features. Fingerprint biometrics is a convenient and secure way to protect your computer and the information on it with a simple swipe of your finger. It also stores passwords to secure web sites you visit, so authentication and access are quick and easy – you only need your fingerprint. No more typing passwords: =) even my windows logon authentication is powered by Fingerprint!!
Password protection at the hard disk level can prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data, applications, and network architecture. HDD Password Protection encrypts and protects disks, partitions, and removable data from unauthorized use or alteration. With Sony SZ440 you need not spend extra bucks for security.
G-Sensor Shock Protection makes your data even less vulnerable to loss or damage. When the built-in 3D acceleration sensor detects a risky movement like being dropped, the HDD-head will lock up to secure its position and protect the disc from scratching. You don’t lose your valuable data that easily.
Integrated Bluetooth Technology provides effortless communication with Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as PDAs and wireless headsets, mobile, without the need for additional hardware or software. VAIO comes with the support for connecting with a dock or port replicator. Smart Display Sensor makes connecting to a compatible external projector or display easy.
SZ Series notebooks support Memory Stick Duo media, Sony’s high-capacity removable flash memory. This gives me good option for me for having ReadyBoost enabled under Windows Vista. The package some with a 6-in-1 multi-card reader, you can access all industry-standard storage cards for ultimate convenience and multi-purpose use.
The Notebook comes with i.Link (IEEE 1394) support that lets me allow connecting to most of the digital systems. Also it has Modem and Ethernet ports for network connectivity.
Here is the complete specification of my SZ-440 configuration.
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz) 4MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB
- 2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-533, 1 GBx2)
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- 80 GB Hard Disk Drive
- 13.3″ WXGA Display With XBRITE™ Technology
- nvidia GeForce Go 7400 Graphics card
- Wireless LAN (802.11 a\b\g) with Bluetooth
- DVD RW Writer
- Built-in Motion EYE Camera and Microphone
- Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
- Standard Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPS2C)
- Sony VGPAC19V10 VAIO® AC Adapter
- Intel 945GM Express Chipset
- G-Sensor Shock Protection for HDD
- Built-in Memory Stick Duo™ Storage Media
- 6-in-1 Multi-Card Reader
Why not the runner-ups?
Lenovo ThinkPad T60
Everything was prefect for what I was looking, but it wouldn’t make it up in the finals since it didn’t have a the style which Sony had. Otherwise I would rate this as top runner up.
The Intel version MacBook attracted much and it did have a equivalent style. I feel it did had little more higher style compared with Sony. Everything was fine with me except the Operating system which I was not familiar of. May give a try to this later point of time once I get comfortable with the Mac OS.
HP Pavillion dv2000t
This is a purely meant entertainment piece and also didn’t have much higher cost associated with it. I didn’t like the casing for HP models. It had a glassy look which didn’t have professional look.
Dell XPS M1210
Dell XPS did have a high end models and was stylish enough too. But did cost little more than the Sony. I was not compromised for paying higher price for Dell brand. So I have to move this last in the list.
Why VAIO SZ440?
All the above-mentioned specification and factors where the main reason that pushed me to get this notebook. But also to add up, I have been a [tag]Sony[/tag] fan for quite some time and that did have an impact before making the final decision. I was looking for a configuration that will run for another 2-3 years that’s why I went for little high-end configuration.
Sony Ericsson W800i Mobile tips, tricks, shortcuts and FAQ complete collection
I’ve been using Sony Ericsson W800i for more than month’s time. Initially I was not able to make use of my phone complete without the required tips and guidelines. I’d to do manually search a lot and try out a few. So I thought of getting this page up so that other W800i users would be benefited. If you’re a W800i or similar model user definitely you will find this useful unless you a more advanced user.
Tips / Trick / Shortcuts
1. Quick activation of camera
Open the back capping strip of camera’s lens. Works even keypad is locked 🙂
2. In messages by pressing “*” you can turn on/off T9.
3. In themes, sounds, videos… use easy searching by typing letters as in contacts.
4. Turn off the ringing without decline incoming calls… Just press some side button of volume or “#”.
5. By right side double-button you can show status of your phone. In sleep mode you can light clock.
6. In main menu you can move faster with shortcuts on keyboard which comes up to dislocation of menu icons. In next sub menus, numbers belongs to number of lines from the top.
7. Service menu (firmware): >*<<*<* where <> is right joystick
8. IMEI number: *#06#
9. Shutdown camera sound: hold button “#”
10. In horizontal viewing mode you can use the “+” and “–” volume keys to zoom in and out of the picture. You can also use the 1 and 3 keys to zoom.
11. At active camera:
1 – change size of photo
4 – turn on/off macro mode
7 – turn on/off night mode
* – turn on/off lightning diodes
Change of zoom: with right side buttons you can zoom in/out
Change of photo brightness: by moving joystick up/down.
12. At active video:
1 – change video size
4 – turn on/off macro mode
7 – turn on/off night mode
* – turn on/off lightning diodes
Change of zoom: with right side buttons you can zoom in/out
Change of video brightness: by moving joystick up/down
13. Reading of text files: send txt file to your phone, file will be saved in “Web pages” and you can open it. Bold and commas don’t work.
14. By holding buttons 2-9 you will get to phone book in telephone on given first letter of given button.
15. By holding “c” at calling you will turn off microphone.
16. By pressing button 1-220 and pressing “#” will be displayed number on SIM card on given position 1-220. Option “Calling from SIM card” will appear.
17. You can move in calendar with these shortcuts:
1 and 3 – week
4 and 6 – month
7 and 9 – year
18. At minimized or locked MP3 player you can change volume by right side buttons, or you can jump to next song by holding one of this buttons.
19. By pressing “*” and “lock” you can lock keyboard in menu of MP3 player or Video recorder.
20. Some special secret-smiles (Any where you can type in the phone even phone book)
big-smile :-] or 😀
kiss-smile 😡 or :-*
21. If you are using Dictionary (T9) to write SMS, you can press the 1 key (3 times in line), than slide the joystick down to choose your smile.
22. Want to see your notes on the main standby screen? Simply access the Main Menu -> Organizer -> Notes -> Add a New Note. Once you’ve added the note, save it. Highlight the new Note, press the right button for the More option, and choose Show on Standby.
23. To capture a video frame as an image file, first Pause the Video, then select More -> Capture frame. The image will be stored in your phone memory’s Pictures folder.
24. Slide the joystick down during video playback and the video will be in slow-motion.
25. Press > for next track, <>
26. Press and hold > or <>
27. While player Minimized mode, press and hold the “-” volume button for next song. Conversely, press and hold “+” for previous song.
28. Behind the battery, on the white sticker inside the phone, you will see a code (4th line above the barcode), for example 03W21. This means your phone was manufactured in week 21, 2003
29. This code will lead you to the network-lock menu Code:
< * *< (<> means left or right with your joystick).
30. Instead of the joystick, you can press the 1 or 3 key to navigate between tracks. Press 2 to pause/play, and 4 or 6 can be used to fast forward or rewind a track.
31. Pressing # during radio play and you’ll be able to type in the radio station frequency.
32. While in Radio Minimized mode, press and hold the “-” volume button for next available station (note: not next preset station). The “+” volume button will tune to the previous available station.
1. How much SMS I can store the max in W800i?
You can save 200 SMS on your mobile. There are several methods to unlock the phone feature to store unlimited SMS by editing the SE FS.
2. How to check the status of number of messages stored in inbox?
Go to the file manager, press more-> memory status->scroll down to messages. You will see the message count there.
1. Pictures taken in daylight are awesome, but in artificial light I get some dots in the images, not that good clarity?
Off course night needs higher brightness, just night mode isn’t sufficient. With flash and adjustment in joystick (brightness) level clarity can be increased to certain level. But it would be injustice to expect more from a camera phone and not a high mega pixel digital camera 🙂
2. What is auto focus? How do I use that?
The camera automatically focuses on a subject or object at which it is pointed. The focus helps to achieve best image quality. It exactly the same technology used in Digital Cameras. To make use of Auto focus feature in W800i, make sure that you hear a peep sound and a green indicator not blinking point and frame. Once you get this go for the shot 🙂
3. How do I record videos longer than 10 seconds?
You’ll need to switch the Shoot Mode to High Quality. Press 0 when in video mode.
4. How to snap photos while in Flight Mode?
The w800i’s Flight Mode allows you to access the WALKMAN Player function without turning on the phone’s transmitting functions (ideal for use during flights). You can actually also access the Camera function while in Flight Mode. Simply lock the keypad, open the camera lens and snap away! (This function works only with the initial firmware release. Reportedly in most of the latest firmware release this option doesn’t work)
5. Can you use the camera without SIM?
Well it can be done. But needed some research to figure out this option. Thanks Sailesh for sharing this tip. He is running r1bc002 firmware. Here is the tip; Switch on the mobile and in the Main menu (where it asks to select Flight mode or Phone) lock the keypad. After locking the keypad, open up the camera. You’re snap all the way (don’t miss to check Sailesh snaps done this way, here)
1. Does W800i support mp4 files?
Yes, the walkman phone support mp4 files to be plays. But make sure you give correct parameters while you convert the video into mp4 file. Check out the Rockstar sample video for correct parameter.
2. Does W800i support Bluetooth stereo headset to play song?
Unfortunately No, W800i does not support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). Hence we will not be able to listen to music using Bluetooth stereo headset. 🙁
3. Can W800i play AVI files?
Sorry no, it does not support AVI files to be played. Current firmware supports Video Support: mpeg-4, 3gpp, h.263, xmf, svgt and Audio Support: midi, midi40, amr, aac, wav, mp3, mp4.
4. What is RDS and how do I use it?
RDS stands for Radio Data Service. If a particular radio station supports this, then info like the name of the station will be automatically shown. Not all stations support this, so it does not work for all stations.
1. What do those 3 overlapping squares at the top left denote?
It signifies that you are using a profile other than the default “normal” profile.
2. How do I read text files with the phone?
You can create *.txt files and then send the file to the Web Pages/Save Pages folder. You can also create text files with MS Word and save them as a web page (*.htm). This is useful especially if you are using foreign characters, as they will sometimes not appear if saved as a *.txt file.
3. What is the maximum storage supported?
According to the official specifications, w800i supports Memory Stick PRO Duo of up to 2GB.
4. Is it possible to use the phone as a remote control for the television, music system, etc?
Yes, it can be done if your system support Bluetooth interface. Unfortunately IR remote control doesn’t work in W800i since the IR features works well only with Symbian phones.
5. Can I set different ring tones for different profiles?
No, you can’t. Only one ring tone can be set for all profiles.
6. Is it required to drain the battery before every recharge?
With Lithium batteries there is no advantage to draining the battery. The battery will in fact last longer with partial rather than full discharges. There is no battery memory effect with a lithium battery – you can charge the battery whenever you like without fear of reducing its charge capacity, and you do not need to drain a lithium battery completely before recharging it. Please refer www.batteryuniversity.com for more information.
7. How to update my firmware?
If you are updating your firmware for the 1st time, follow the Step by Step Instructions available in SE official site. Your firmware can be updated through the Sony Ericsson Update Service II (SEUS II). In order to use SEUS you will need to have internet access (preferably Broadband) and attach your phone to your PC via the supplied USB cable.
Finally at Last, the cool, gorgeous, sexy W800i was discontinued by Sony Ericsson to promote its successor W810i. W800i is no more in production. Still W800i rockz!!!
At last but not the least thanks for the Sony Ericsson India community members in Orkut from where I’ve formulate the FAQ page and collate few good tips from esato.com
Most of tips mentioned here works well with Sony Ericsson K750 / W810i / W850i / W700i / W900i / W950i / W880i / W200i / W300i / W550i and most other Walkman models.
W800i Resources (Ring tones, Themes, JAVA apps, Screensavers, Wallpapers, Games)
Sony Ericsson Developer Tools:-
Exclusive W800i Site:-
Games/ JAVA application :-
If you think something is missing out here; Please add them as comments.
Update:- Read my review about W800i at MouthShut.com