Migrating New Blogger to WordPress 2
Import your posts with comments from New Blogger to WordPress 2. New Blogger Import tool is ease and simple to use; no more manual pains.
My love with Blogger is over finally I have been planning for move to WordPress for a long time. I have been stopped since I did’t want to carry the pain in my butt with all the manual stuff involved in it previously.
The new blogger import plugin is out of beta and is been tested with the current version of WordPress. The final version is available here. From the new release of WordPress this plugin would be present as default.
- Imports all Blogger Posts
- Imports all the Comments
- Imports the Post Author and Comment Author information
- Imports Categories (i.e. Labels) from Blogger
Other Useful Utils:-
1. While you’re testing the blogger import feature you can try out WordPress Suicide plugin; this plugin will help you clear all the posts in WordPress.
2. By itself it does not support to import the images hosted in blogger, but you can use the blogger image import plugin.
The plugin is compatible only with new blogger so i would suggest to migrate everyone to migrate to new blogger. Since the old blogger import utility will not import post comments along with posts.
Here I will provide you the steps required to Import the post from New Blogger to WordPress.
The import plugin won’t work with the blogs that are using FTP publishing. So before trying this import feature make sure you switch to Blogspot publishing.
- Make sure you got the id of Blogger which your tring to import( say bloggerid.blogspot.com).
- Make sure your blogger publish full feeds, if not modify the option to publish full feeds. ( In Settings –> Site Feeds –> Blog Posts Feed –> FULL)
- Download the latest plugin from here.
- Upload the plugin to the WordPress plugin location and activate the plugin.
- Make sure your web-server supports url_fopen or should have curl enabled.
- In WordPress, goto Manage –> New Blogger Import to access the plugin.
- Provide your blogger id which you’re trying to import.
- Select the default category and author, where you want the post to be imported.
- Also you have option to create the category and author corresponding to the post.
- If you’re blog is too large and you’re facing time out error, reduce the import cycles and unpick the import every posts in single fly option.
- If you’re using Haloscan comment in blogger, then enable the option and use the plugin in conjunction with this.
- If you want to enable permalink structure same as used by blogger turn this on. I would not suggest it.
- Click on import, you will be all set and it ask to import the author information.
- Save those changes. Now all the post and comments are imported to WordPress
- Now it’s time to say good bye to Blogger forever. See the redirection below.
If you have published the Blogger using FTP previously, you got good luck. Since you will be able to do a Permanent direct 301 using .htaccess using the syntax below.
RedirectMatch permanent ^blog/2006/07/old-post-link.html$ http://www.sitename.org/newblog/2006/07/new-post-link/
The posts redirected with 301 redirect will not loose search engine ranking or penalized.
But if you’re using blogspot publishing, you will left with no other option that using <META> tag redirect. You can make the required changes in the template and republish the blog. So that the blogger will redirect all the request to the newly hosted wordpress domain. See below a sample syntax of blogger template should be to enable the blogger redirect.
<title>My blog title</title>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5;
If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to our <a href="http://www.sitename.com/newblog">New Blog</a> in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you </p>
Now you will preserve your traffic as well.
Have fun. Say good-bye to Blogger soon
Happily and Proudly powered by WordPress.
Update (04/26/07) : The above method doesn’t work anymore; since the plugin in broken as there was a change in Blogger’s feed. Better option would be upgrading to WordPress 2.2, which has inbuilt blogger import feature. Good Luck!